Monday 18 June 2012

maybe it's because i'm a londoner.

"Do you drink tea with the Queen?"
No, but I'd love to, she rocks.

In the past year or two we've had quite a few big occasions, most of which involved the Royal Family. For instance, the Royal Wedding which took place on the 29th April 2011, and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee which was celebrated on the weekend of June 2nd-5th.
Although I'm Albanian, I'm also a British Citizen, born and bred in London. And, if I'm honest, I actually love occasions like these. I love getting the patriotic feeling as I walk down the streets of London and see people's homes decorated with the Union Jack. Heading down to the more obvious places like Oxford Street and Camden, and seeing the flag hang above our heads. It really is a great feeling. 


And what's more great? Being out and about during these events covered in the Union Jack. Like, ahem, me..
That was from when we went out for the floatilla on the River Thames. That day, it rained like there was no tomorrow. But, let's be honest, it won't be a true British day without some rain. Not some, but heaps! London was over-flowing with people who had come from all over the world to be a part of such an event. All we needed was a bit of The Beatles or Spice Girls and it would have been perfect.
Royal Family events have some smaller perks as well. This includes drooling over the siblings of the main attractions, i.e. Prince Harry for the ladies, and Pippa Middleton for the lads. But should they ever get together.. let's hope not.

What else is there? Oh yeah, the Olympics! The 2012 Summer Olympic games will take place between the 27th July to the 12th August. Unfortunately, I'm in Kosova as of the 26th July, and won't be in London for it, but I will definitely put aside time during these days to watch and support Great Britain (and Albania ) from a timezone an hour ahead.

However, part of me is grateful to not be in London, let alone UK, during the Olympics. I'm happy to be getting away from all the hustle and bustle of the millions of people that will be coming in from around the world. As quoted from BBC, "An influx of tourists is expected to use the tube during the games". 5.3m to be a bit more precise. As if I want to be a part of that. The last thing I want in the summer is to be crammed between sweaty people on the tube who have never used or even heard of deodorant. And I'm short as well. That instantly puts me in the 99% chance of having someone's armpit being shoved in my face, fml.
I also don't like the logo.

To conclude, drinking tea with the Queen is far better than eating pizza with Obama. Or something like that. Eating pizza with Obama would be pretty awesome though, I'd love to do that.
But hey, we have:
  • Black cabs
  • Red phone boxes
  • London Eye
  • Big Ben
  • Harry Potter
  • Doctor Who
  • Oliver Twist
  • Jaffa Cakes
  • Lord of the Rings
  • Marmite (ew)
  • The Sex Pistols
  • Football (not soccer)
  • Buckingham Palace
  • Harrods (the only one in the world)
  • Selfridges
  • Royal Albert Hall
  • Rita Ora lol (fellow Albanian)
And many others, but I can't be bothered to keep going.
So yeah, God Save The Queen!
P.S. 'Ello Guv'nor!

No comments:

Post a Comment